Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Top Teacher FAQs
- How do I get paid?
- How does it work?
- How long does it take to start getting contacted by students?
- What should I do if the student refuses to pay for lessons?
- How can I sign up to be a teacher?
- Is travel required? What if I don't have a car?
- The activation email didn't show up!
- How can students leave me a review? How do I get reviews?
- Why isn't my profile showing up when I search for it?
- How can I close my account?
- Can I get a featured listing for just one month? I don't want to be automatically charged.
- My location doesn't show correctly on the map, how can I fix it?
- How do I change the credit card used for my subscription?
- What is my username or password? How do I retrieve my lost username or password?
- Someone already has my username/password. How did this happen?
Answers for Teachers
- You get paid directly by the student(s). We are not involved in any transactions between teachers and students. This means that you can get paid however is most convenient for you and (unlike most tutoring companies) we will never take a percentage of your earnings. Most teachers accept cash or check. Some teachers also send invoices to students via Paypal. This allows the student to pay by credit card and for you to deposit funds directly to your bank account. Also note that since you are not being paid by us, you are not an employee or independent contractor and we will not withhold or report any taxes for you. It's up to you to track this as a self-employed person.
- You can sign up on our website if you'd like to advertise your music teaching services, whether you teach part- or full-time. It's absolutely free to sign up and unlike other similar service portals, we don't take a percentage of what the student pays. You get paid directly by the student and keep 100%! The first step is to create a teacher account. Once you've created your account and filled it out completely, your profile will be public on our site. This means your profile will show up in search results as parents and students come to our site to look for teachers. (Note: after completing your profile it will take about 5 minutes to start appearing in search results.) If a parent or student would like to hire you for a teaching job, they fill out the contact form on your profile page. You'll get an email notification that someone is interested in hiring you. At that point it's up to you to decide whether to work with them or not. You choose how much you want to charge per hour and handle all scheduling and payments directly with the student. You can get paid however you'd like by the student (cash, check, Paypal, etc). After meeting with a student, they can leave you a review by logging into their account or filling out the email we send them. The review will show up on your profile to help you build your experience and reputation on the site. Teachers with positive reviews can typically charge more per hour and receive more job requests. Every teacher gets a free listing on our site which gives you unlimited contacts and reviews from students. If you'd like to get more teaching jobs we also offer a featured listing which costs anywhere from $9/month to $29/month depending on which city you live in. This gives you top placement in search results, a featured listing on the homepage, and a FEATURED badge on your listing along with a few other benefits (ads removed from your profile, and the ability to list a phone number on your profile). You can upgrade to a featured listing at any time by clicking the "Upgrade" tab in your teaching account. There is no obligation to upgrade (the free listing works perfectly well for many teachers), but it's a nice way to increase your visibility on the site if you'd like to earn more money. Generally speaking, featured listings receive four times as many job requests as free listings on average. Finally, it's worth mentioning that we take your privacy very seriously and will never share your contact information with potential students. Students will only have your contact information if you choose to respond to their inquiry. In addition, the street address field and photo are optional on profiles. If you don't want to show your exact location you can use a nearby intersection or leave the street address blank (in which case we'll approximate your location on the map). In summary, AceMusicTeacher is a great way find people who are interested in hiring you for to further their musical skills and make some money! Music teaching can be a lucrative and rewarding job, and we're really excited to provide a website where so many people can connect with each other. We really believe that this is the future of the teaching industry (people connecting online instead of working through expensive advertising companies) and we'd love to have you join us! To get started you can sign up as a teacher here.
- It varies a lot. Some teachers get a lot of contacts within the first week and some never get a single one. Sorry, we wish we had a better answer for you here, but the best way to find out is to just try it. After all, it's free! If you're not getting enough contacts, you may want to try marketing your tutor profile. We offer a featured listing, and also some easy ways to market your profile. Just login to your tutor account and click the "Marketing" tab to find some easy ways to market yourself.
- While the vast majority of teaching sessions work out well for both parties, occasional non-payment is an unfortunate risk of the music teaching business (as with many other businesses). Follow up at least once by phone and once by email to politely request payment. Many people simply get busy and bills have a way of being forgotten unless you remind them. Perhaps the best way to avoid non-payment is to never do more than one hour of teaching with a new client before getting paid (or only accept payments in blocks of time, e.g., one month's worth of payments). This will cut your losses if you do end up working with a student who is not honest. In effect, the first session is about seeing if it is a good match for both the student and the tutor. If the student decides to disappear and not pay after the first session, then it would not have worked out anyway. At least your time has now been freed up to find quality students who will value your services and compensate you for them. The most profitable students that you can find as a teacher are the ones who will meet with you on a regular basis, week after week. These "regular customers" will contribute much more to your bottom line and you can be sure they will pay on time (otherwise you wouldn't keep working with them). A teacher who is welcome around the house and practically a friend of the family is much less likely to be cheated out of money. These are the sort of students who you should ideally seek out. Finally, if you have a complaint about any specific student on our site, you can email support and describe the problem you are having. We do take action against specific students who are not using the site honestly.
- You can signup to be a teacher here.
- You don't have to have a car to sign up to be a teacher. Students can meet you anywhere that's convenient for you. Just indicate this somwhere in your profile. That being said, teachers who are available to travel may get more contacts and work.
First step: check that it isn't in your spam folder.
Second step: try waiting for up to an hour. Some email servers get backed up.
Last step: if it's still not working feel free to send us an email support request from our contact page.
After working with a student, they can login to their account and write you a review.
If the student forgets or chooses not to leave you a positive review, it never hurts to ask. They can login at any time to post reviews for tutors they have worked with in the past.
1. Try a search from the homepage of AceMusicTeacher by entering your zip code and one of the instruments you included in your profile. If your profile shows up you are all set. If it's showing in the wrong geographic location, try reading this for more information.
2. If it still isn't working, feel free to send us an email request using our contact form.
- Login to your account and click the "Settings" tab. Then look for a link at the bottom of the page which says "Permanently close my account". Note that closing your AceMusicTeacher account will not automatically stop your Paypal subscription (if you have one set up for a featured listing). You will need to cancel the Paypal subscription separately. You can do this from Paypal's site or by clicking the link we provide on the "Upgrade" tab from within AceMusicTeacher.
- By default the subscription is recurring. However, if you'd like to try it for just one month this is easy enough - simply subscribe and then cancel the subscription immediately (from within Paypal). Your featured listing will remain active throughout the month even if you cancel the subscription right away. At the end of 30 days you can decide whether to resubscribe (or if you do nothing you won't be charged again).
- The map location is based on what address you entered into your profile on the "Basic Info" section. We use Google Maps to help place the marker on the map, and sometimes it's not 100% accurate. You can try playing with different values for the street, city, state, zip code, country, etc until it places the marker correctly (and of course make sure you don't have any typos). It should place it just as if you had typed that address into http://maps.google.com so feel free to experiment there if it's easier. When you're ready just enter the new address into your teacher profile and save the changes. When you reload your profile it should show that location.
Also, there is no requirement to enter your exact street address if you don't want to (for privacy reasons). You can approximate your location on the map with a nearby intersection or entering only a zip code if you'd like.
- First, login to your Paypal account at http://www.Paypal.com.
- Select from the menu Profile > More Options
- Next click "My preapproved payments"
- On the next page, click on the link that says "set available funding sources".
- Try updating the payment to source to a valid credit card or bank account. (note you will likely have to add the new credit card/bank account to your paypal account before you do this if you haven't done so already)
- Paypal updates the way its system works from time to time, so these instructions may not be entirely accurate by the time you read this (last updated July 2012).
If Paypal does not allow you to update the funding source (or you don't wish to use Paypal), there is another way to resolve the problem.
- Contact us using our contact form.
- I've been thinking about allowing people to use credit cards directly instead of (or in addition to) PayPal, but I wasn't sure people would want this feature. But if you do, please let me know via the contact page. I'm always interested in creating a better user experience.
You can recover access to the account using the reset password page here.
If you'd like to switch to a teacher account instead of a client account, you'll need to delete your client account and then re-register as a teacher. To delete your current account you can login, visit the settings tab, and click "close my account" at the bottom. This will free up your email address to register as a teacher.